We are pleased to present to you the Spring 2012 Edition of the Health Law Section’s Health Law Reporter. Our Health Law Reporter provides BBA members with cutting-edge and unique perspectives on the fast-changing field of health law.
For the past several years, Massachusetts has played a leading role in national health reform, with our models for mandated individual insurance coverage, health insurance exchanges and other concepts winning acceptance and adoption at the national level. This edition of the Health Law Reporter addresses several of these important aspects of health reform.
We are pleased and honored to begin this issue with a contribution from Governor Deval Patrick. This is followed by discussion of the extension of health insurance to legal immigrants in Massachusetts, and a discussion of some of the unique impacts of national health reform on Massachusetts. We also profile one of the key individuals involved in implementing health reform in our state, Aron Boros, the Commissioner of the Massachusetts Division of Health Care Finance and Policy.
The following articles can be found within this issue:
- Health Care in Massachusetts 2012: The Way I See It
- Restoring Legal Immigrants’ State Health Insurance – The Finch Cases
- National Health Care Reform Comes Home: Massachusetts’ Implementation of the Affordable Care Act
- Guardianship Proceedings in Massachusetts Probate Courts for Health Care Facilities: The Not-so-Uniform Probate Code
- Boston University Law Class Files Affordable Care Act Amicus Briefs with the U.S. Supreme Court
- Obtaining an OIG Advisory Opinion: The General Counsel’s Perspective – Interview of Daniel Orenstein, General Counsel, athenahealth, Inc.
- Discussion with Mr. Aron Boros, Commissioner of the Massachusetts Division of Health Care Finance & Policy
- Health Law Brief: Board of Registration in Medicine v. Sturdy Memorial Hospital, 2011 WL 7102574 (Mass. Super. Dec. 12, 2011)
- Health Law Brief: Gauthier v. Director of the Office of Medicaid, 80 Mass. App. Ct. 777 (2011)
- Health Law Brief: Guardianship of Mary Moe, 81 Mass. App. Ct. 136 (2012)
- Health Law Brief: U.S. ex. rel. Christopher Drennen v. Fresenius Medical Care Holdings, Inc.
We also have a contribution discussing the pending lawsuits in the U.S. Supreme Court regarding the federal Affordable Care Act. This is just a preview of what is to come, as we will address the outcome of those Supreme Court lawsuits in our next edition of the Health Law Reporter, so stay tuned! One of the best ways to keep abreast of these issues is through the BBA Health Law Section. We invite the involvement of anyone who wishes to join our section, and welcome the addition of your time, talents and ideas. The Health Law Section has several committees to choose from (CLE, Communications, Membership, Legislative Update, Social Action); or you can volunteer as a participant at one of our CLE programs or Brown Bag lunches. Your ideas for new programs, events or new approaches to making our Section better are welcome.
– Colin S. Zick & Leslie Joseph, Health Law Section Co-Chairs